Sunday, August 11, 2013

at Octopus Sushi, Ampang Point


Salmon don, miso soup, Ten don, salmon sashimi, agedashi tofu

Had a late lunch with Tiggy at Octopus Sushi on Sunday - it's one of the places we go to when we can't think of where else to go for a meal (#firstworldproblems), as we both find the food here acceptable.

I opted for the Salmon Don this time (RM21). This came with 8 thin slices of salmon, some pickled ginger, a teaspoon of roe, slice of lemon, and shredded cucumber on a bed of Japanese rice. I expected the salmon slices to be thicker for the price, so I was a tad disappointed by this. The rice however, was well cooked- I mixed the rice with lemon juice, a drizzle of soy sauce, the roe and the cucumber (because I hate plain rice), and ate the salmon separately like sashimi. Hehe.

Tiggy had his usual Ten Don- tempura and rice. This came with 2 prawns, a piece of soft shell crab (MINE!), onion, and eggplant, along with a generous amount of those crispy, crunchy bits. Nom for him, but not my type of dish as there was no gravy :P

Tiggy also had the miso soup- palatable, but I thought it slightly diluted.

We ordered agedashi tofu and salmon sashimi to share. The Agedashi tofu was nicely fried to a beautiful golden brown color and was pretty good- however the coating got soggy quickly. Sad.

And now...my favorite!!! The salmon sashimi, served on a bed of ice. This was the thickest cut of sashimi I've ever had- more than 1cm thick, melt in your mouth buttery goodness! Please note however, that the sashimi cuts weren't as generously thick on previous visits- but still decent. Altho I wonder, why is it served on ice?

Ellie's rating:
Food: 6.5/10
Ambiance: 5/10


No comments:

Post a Comment